Balsamic vinegar adds vibrant flavor to this salad without a hint of fat or sodium. With its intense and complex flavor, this vinaigrette is a perfect complement to the chicken, pineapple and spinach salad.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, each about 5 ounces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 can (8 ounces) unsweetened pineapple chunks, drained except for 2 tablespoons juice
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 4 cups fresh baby spinach leaves
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onions
For the vinaigrette
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Cut each chicken breast into cubes. In a large, nonstick frying pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook until golden brown, about 10 minutes.
In a large serving bowl, combine the cooked chicken, pineapple chunks, broccoli, spinach and onions.
To make the dressing, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, reserved pineapple juice, sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. Pour over the salad. Toss gently to coat evenly. Serve immediately.
Nutritional analysis per serving
- Total carbohydrate 8 g
- Dietary fiber 2 g
- Sodium 75 mg
- Saturated fat 1 g
- Total fat 9 g
- Cholesterol 41 mg
- Protein 17 g
- Monounsaturated fat 6 g
- Calories 181
By Mayo Clinic Staff